How to make a lining to crocheted bag

By Vendulka - October 28, 2014

Hi my dears,
it is lovely Tuesday, we are going with our girls on the trip to the mountains - oh, I am terribly looking forward to make a little break and spend the day at the mountain with my beloved ones. I hope you will have a nice time too :-). I didn't write quite long time, I was busy like a bee - I finished some of my news and revised some of my older patterns - but I will let you know about all in next posts, I promise.

Today I am here with my new free tutorial - How to sew the lining to crocheted bag.  

How to make a lining to crocheted bag

I make the lining to every of my bigger bags. I am not professional seamstress, so this tutorial will be suitable for beginners (but very enthusiastic ones for sewing as same as I am :-) ). I wrote this tutorial, because you were writing me quite often with question, how I making the lining to my crocheted bags - so this tutorial is my collective answer.

So, what do you need?
Some crocheted bag will be fine :-) and fabric (100% cotton fabric), sewing threads, some pins, scissors, sewing machine and iron.

Tip: most of all, I am using 100% cotton fabric. It is better to wash it before sewing, because the cotton fabric will shrink after washing.

Instruction:
Please measure your bag :-)

My measurement:
For this tutorial I used one of my most favorite bags – Crazy rainbow bag. This bag is rectangle shaped with the bottom part. 

Upper inner circumference of my bag is 74 cm
Don't forget to the  addition fabric for the side seams – I have 1 cm for each side

Height of the my bag: backside 26 cm, bottom of the bag 6 cm, front-side 26 cm – totally 58 cm
Don't forget to the  addition fabric for the seams of the upper edge – I have 5 cm of each side

Cut the rectangle of: width 76 cm (74 + 1 + 1) and height 68 cm ( 58 + 10)

 *** Please adjust the measurement to your bag ***

Place the fabric at the half, with right side inside and sew it on the sides. I use zig-zag stitch first of all, but at the end of all work, I sew it again by basic stitch.  

How to make a lining to crocheted bag

Make the lower corners:
Shape the fabric to make a tip, as you see on the picture below. The tip is right-angled and side seam, you made one step before, is directly in the middle.  Sew the corner - the measurement of the corner seam will depends on the measurement of the bottom of your bag - I have 6 cm. 

How to make a lining to crocheted bag

Then sew the lines of the lining's bottom. Iron the bottom lines first of all and then sew them 1 mm from the edges, as you see on the picture below. The bottom of the lining will get nice rectangular shape then.

How to make a lining to crocheted bag

Put the lining into your bag and fold upper edges two times as you see on the picture below. You will fold 2,5 cm of the fabric and them fold 2.5 cm again. Check, if it is enough and then iron it.

How to make a lining to crocheted bag

Sew upper edge by your sewing machine. 

How to make a lining to crocheted bag

Turn the bag to the wrong side and sew the corner of the lining to the corner of the bag, as you see on the picture below. Then turn the bag to right side. 

How to make a lining to crocheted bag

Final sewing :-). Pin the lining by some pins and sew it thoroughly by your hands. Use double thread. Insert the needle only in wrong side of the lining (don't goes through all upper edge), as you see on the pictures below. If you make it by this way – the stitches will look invisible. Nice, clean work :-)

How to make a lining to crocheted bag

Oh, your bag is lined ! Congratulation :-)

How to make a lining to crocheted bag

I hope, you will like this easy tutorial. If you have another tips, how to sew the lining into the crocheted bag, I will be glad you write me. Always is something what could be done better :-) 

I wish you nice day! 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

20 komentářů

  1. A tip to give strength stability, at walmart in craft section have sheets of foam board, can cut theses to fit bottom and sides of inside of bag, hot glue in place then add lining. my bag is square and big, 10 by 14 [front back panels],by2[bottom side panels] so this is good idea for the foam board.use

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! You have read my mind as I have been looking for a nice easy tutorial like this. I am not much good at sewing but I should be able to do this!! Thank you for sharing!
    Have a wonderful time with your little ones in the mountains.
    keep well

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, I am glad you like it. I plucked up the courage to write it quite long time. Oh, thank you Amanda - today was a lovely day! :-) We was all together and with friends also and we were at the walk in forest - really, really nice :-)
      Send you many greetings :-)

      Delete
  3. Precioso y completo bien colorido me encanta!!! besos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Замечательно получилось, спасибо за описание процесса.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a beginner.I don't have a sewing machine.Is it possible to line the bag without sewing machibe.This lining issue really discourages me whenever I crochet a bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arina, thank you for your question. Sorry, for the delay with my response. I think, that you could sew it iny your hand also. Make small, nice, strong stitches. From my point of view is the lining really needed in crocheted bag. Kind regards, Vendula

      Delete
  6. Wow what a beautiful bag :)
    Would you tell me what kind of yarn do you use to make bags? I want to make one and want it to be slight firm
    Waiting for your response :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiyaaa :-) Thank you! I used Lily sugar and cream, 100% non-mercerized cotton, worsted weight yarn. I am sorry for my late response... :-)

      Delete
  7. Hi

    Thank you for this tutorial, my bags come out really neat with this method.

    This time, I've made a bag with an oval bottom. I'm not sure how to line it. the depth is narrower on the corners than in the center.if you can give me tips on how to do it, it would be great.

    Thank you
    Maddie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The information and the aspect were just wonderful. I think that your viewpoint is deep, it’s just well thought out and truly incredible to see someone who knows how to put these thoughts so well. Good job! mejores máquinas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful bags. I like it all, Thanks for sharing !

    non woven bag machine

    ReplyDelete
  10. So far this is the best tutorial I have found on the internet on how to make a lining to crocheted bag. I checked several ones but so far I lived this one the most. Keep it up! mejores maquinas

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am new to this but this guide was super easy to follow. My husband loved the outcome. I will keep searching yuor site for more guides lie this :) .

    ReplyDelete

♥ Our Colorful Instagram ♥